Thursday, September 28, 2006

Film going on a budget (isn't possible if you live in London)

It has taken us months to get there this being but one example of us failing to get to the cinema. It has not been for want of trying on a weekly basis, but last night we did finally get to see a film in London. We saw Little Miss Sunshine and what a lovely, funny, moving film about a dysfunctional family on a road trip in a clapped out VW van it was too. I am really pleased because the first review I just looked at mentions the truly great running style of the suicidal intellectual Uncle Frank- 'Number One Proust Expert in the World' - much good does that do him.

Anyway, we now know why it is practically impossible to see a film in London on a Wednesday night. We wanted to go on a Wednesday because Wednesday is Orange Wednesday - and we were not the only ones. If you have an Orange mobile you can get two tickets for the price of one on a Wednesday and as the price of just one ticket in London is £9.00* (and no, we weren't in the West End), clearly no bugger could ever afford to go to the cinema any other night. The early evening cinema was packed. Luckily, I don't like popcorn or otherwise I would have had to sell my kids in order to afford a tub of that.

* Twice the price of tickets at my nearest cinema. There is something to be said for living in the sticks after all.

5 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Reminds me of a scene from my favourite episode of "Black Books" where Bernard goes to the pictures (for a film that turns out to have been cancelled, though he still sits in the cinema thinking it was a weird art-house experiment). When he goes for popcorn the following exchange occurs:

Bernard: Excuse me, there seems to be some mistake. I bought some popcorn and a drink and now I have no money left.
Cashier: That's how much it costs.
Bernard: What is it, magic popcorn? Does it produce some kind of dizzying high?


BTW I also came across the same quote and thought I would dare post it here!

[to violent, Millwall F.C supporting skinheads]
Bernard: Millwall! That's the one. Do you know this chant? 'Millwall, Millwall, you're all really dreadful, and all your girlfriends are unfulfilled and alienated... '


Of course, we all that's totally untrue as a representation of Millwall fans. For a start I refuse to believe their girlfriends are unfulfilled!!!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

You're right about the popcorn. I would never buy it at the cinema. It's so cheap to make and the mark-up must be over 250%. Only mugs would fall for that trick.

Arthur Clewley said...

I'm not saying I come across as a down at heel provincial but I once ordered a pint of lager in Leicester Square to be asked by the nice young lady at the bar 'are you sure because it's £5 a pint' apparently this offends londoners but she guessed I was from out of town and I thought it was very good advice, so I had a glass of water which was only £3.

I can't believe those prices that you mention JJ. You can produce a feature film yourself and sleep with the leading lady for £9 around here.

J.J said...

Excellent quotes Lisa! As for fulfillment - he's a Celtic man at heart!

YP, I remember my daughter selecting a few sweets from the pick and mix at the cinema. When I was asked to part with £3.50 in payment every single one went back where she had found it - and that was Northampton cinema prices.

Arthur, I refer you to this on the subject of the price of water in London bars and restaurants.

Arthur Clewley said...

I like the quote about people buying bottled water are evian spelt backwards :-)