Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Tonight

In June last year I went up to Sheffield for what was my second attempt to see REM. My first attempt had been in February. It was snowing. The concert was at the Sheffield Ice Hockey Arena and we saw the support band, but when they came off Michael Stipe came on to say 'Terribly sorry, concert off.'Mike Mills had just been rushed to hospital. So Stipe and Pete Buck did a few acoustic numbers and then promised to return. I drove back down the M1 - slowly due to by now very thick snow. I have had better nights out.

So fast forward to June and there was great speculation about who would be the support and many big names were being mentioned eg Razorlight, Idlewild and others who I can't remember now but got quite excited about at the time. It turned out to be some guy called Richard somebody or other who looked like he had wandered in direct from the boozer on the corner. He was certainly a local. I said to my mates at the time, I think he would be good in another venue, but here in the massive cavern like arena it was just so wrong. I wrote about him when I got back on my previous blog. I said having rather run down his performance, no doubt he will be the next big thing as I have a history of failing to appreciate bands who were on the verge of mega success like to my lasting shame, Talking Heads. Cue release of wonderful album by Richard Hawley 'Coles Corner'.

Reidski knew I was contrite about my appalling lapse of judgement because he saw other things I wrote at the time. Anyway, when we first met each other we were getting on really well when suddenly he said he had got me a present - 'Coles Corner'. It was so unexpected, it was SO nice of him, and it led fairly directly to our relationship moving to a level somewhat above that of 'just friends'. So finally I arrive at the whole point of all this reminiscing. Tonight we are going to see Richard Hawley, and this time I am going to fully appreciate him.

5 comments:

John said...

It's almost like you never read Counago & Spaves. What do you do, look at the pictures?!

That said, I would be hugely envious of you if I wasn't off to see Jeff Tweedy at Vicar Street ce soir.

John said...

p.s. have a fucking great night.

J.J said...

But John - your pictures are so good! Especially this one.

And it was a bloody brilliant night - as was yours I am very happy to READ!

George said...

Excellent taste in The REM however, J.J. I'm something of a devotee. Was the first attempt the cancelled one at the Sheffield Arena? I had a ticket for that but it was cancelled due to Bill's head-pop. It was a real shame as the support was PJ Harvey and instead, when I finally saw them at Huddersfield, I got The Beautiful South. Still not as bad as Feeder of course...

J.J said...

Yes George, it was Sheffield. But they were worth the four month wait for the rearranged date.