Thursday, November 30, 2006

Richard Hawley was...

ACE!!!!


I will leave the music review bit for Reidski cos he is far better at that than I am, but apart from the music which was superb, Hawley just comes across as such a great bloke. He is funny, relaxed, and chats with the audience like we are old mates. He is also very good with hecklers.

He asked if we liked the new backdrop which was two fancy, glittery and entwined letters - 'R' and 'H'. He said he thought they looked a bit 'gay' and then said he had nicked them off Rolf Harris; and at this point someone shouted out (what could have been a request???) 'Two Little Boys!' "Listen pal" replied Hawley, "I don't tell you my problems, you keep quiet about yours" adding as an after thought "You can get arrested for that sort of thing you know."

4 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

He lives two hundred yards from this house in Sheffield but strangely I have never seen him around - though I often see Phil Oakey of the Human League whose house is literally twenty five yards in front of ours. Now how's that for name-dropping huh?

Anonymous said...

RH's patter sounds soooo much better than Steve Harley's! Yes, I went to see the old Cockney Rebel (at my sister's request, please believe me) at the Derngate this week. I was greatly amused by the event. However, SH's ramble about 'political correctness' (he doesn't like it) and over-heated shops (he doesn't like them) left me sitting straight-faced in my seat. Unlike the encore rendition of 'Coming Up and See Me', which had me leaping around at the front of the stage like a mad thing. However, I was far far from being the maddest thing there.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know it is 'Come Up and See Me'.

J.J said...

YP, that is rather cool!

Messalina - had we only known Cockney Rebel were playing Northampton we would have had to give Richard Hawley a miss. I bet it was a really good night!

And if it wasn't 'Coming Up and See Me'it should have been.