Thursday, November 09, 2006

My hair

which was a bit red is now a lot brown. DARK brown. SO dark brown that when I got home last night and walked in the kitchen my daughter shrieked 'Your hair is black!' I am hoping that was on account of the two light bulbs out of the four which have blown in the kitchen and not because my hair is in fact black. Not that there is anything worng (as opposed to with my typing) with black hair on a person who would suit black hair but I am not too sure that I could get away with black hair now my punk rocker days are behind me (by approximately a life time).

It is so different I scared myself when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror ths morning (OK- not for the first time, but this fright was of the 'Who the Fuck is She?' variety rather than the 'Oh my god, I look bloody awful in the morning' type of fright which is pretty much a daily type fright).

Going to work with a different look is a strange experience. You feel hopelessly self - conscious. Other people react in diverse ways. Some colleagues will not notice full stop. They can spend many hours a day in your company and be perfectly unable to tell that anything different has occured whatsoever. Then you get the ones who know 'something' is different but take till about 2.30 in the afternoon to gently enquire 'Have you done something to your hair?' followed by 'I knew there was something different about you!' There is always one who will note correctly that you have done 'something' to your hair, and then decline to make any another comment at all so as to leave you convinced you look simply awful. And then thankfully there are the nice and observant ones to whom I am today extremely grateful.

By mentioning all this in some detail I hope that Reidski will be sufficently alerted to the fact that I have done 'something' to my hair and to at least pretend to like it.

15 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I think it is national scandal that women should be expected to spend so much money just having their hair done by braindead barbies. £50? £70? £90? Good heavens, I think I'm splashing out when I spend a tenner getting my barnet trimmed. I'm sure you look very nice and if Reidski has ever heard of people in glass houses then he will be extremely accepting of your new look!

Arthur Clewley said...

I'm sure your fella has noticed but it's a minefield you know, men commenting on women's hair. We do notice these things, my neighbour had some grey that she coloured out but if I commented on it she would think that I was either gay or a stalker and not just a friend saying 'oh I see you did something to your hair, it looks very nice but I thought the grey bits kind of suited you' and when our nearest and dearest are concerned even more is at stake so best to keep quiet.If reideski finds his beloved has gone goth then he probably thinks it just a phase and best to keep his counsel. I'm sure he'd feel the same about you if you came home with a shaved head covered in a Rangers tattoo

crisiswhatcrisis said...

Morning. Oooh - have you done something to your hair? Thought so.

Shooting Parrots said...

Painful experience has taught me to notice hair changes and that comments should always be in the positive. "It really suits you," has become a Pavlovian response.

But £10 for a haircut YP? Blimey, that's pushing the boat out, and you a Yorkie. My local barber charges £6.50 and with typical Lanky generosity I throw in a 50p tip!

Gill said...

Ah, you are following the new emo fashion!! I dyed my hair dark this year after being blonde for ages and my own mother didn't recognise me on several occasions. It's rather fun to be someone different and hair is the best and quickest way of changing your look. Yorkshire Pudding I think you are being very judgemental about hairdressers, although judging YOU by the look of your fringe -maybe YOUR hairdresser IS brain dead?? and if you paid £10 for that haircut then you were cheated.

cookie monster said...

and heres me being charged £15 for a headshave. then again seeing as im now balding perhaps i should get a discount?

and JJ, im sure your barnet looks luvverly and im sure reidski will appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Had my hair done today as well - for a small fortune which I will not disclose here- and guess what?

Nobody noticed. Or they were all too polite to say something.

Reidski said...

Oh, JJ, you do attract them, don't you?

J.J said...

YP - I am telling my hairdresser Nick you called him a braindead barbie...not that you have any need to be scared by that as he is not exactly the most macho man in the entire world.

Arthur, I do kind of sympathise - it must be the equivalant of the 'Does my bum look big in this?' dilemma.

Crisis - you noticed!

S.P. £6.00 for a man at Mr Toppers in London as I happen to know!

Gil, indeed I am so Emo it is just not true - especialy when my team lose at football.

Cookie - see reference to Mr Toppers above - to be found all over the West End of your fair city.

I - hi - and nice to welcome you back to blogging. I am sure if they said nothing it was down to jealousy at how stunning it looks.

Reidski - so long as this new look attracts you dearest, I shall be content.

backroads said...

Goth.

J.J said...

Backroads - yes, much to the acute embarrassment of my teenage kids who 'can not be doing with' goths.

JoeinVegas said...

Uh, no, your bum does NOT look big in that. But your hair - now your hair does look big like that. Thought I would have noticed before.

J.J said...

Joe. this is me!

Reidski said...

Sorry, just read this - have you done something to your hair. You should have mentioned it when I saw you last night ;-)

J.J said...

Oh very funny dear!