Monday, April 23, 2007

Holiday - Day 2.

In which we try and after a previously unsuccessful attempt finally succeed in getting to Kew Gardens. And very beautiful it was in the spring sunshine too although we nearly didn't get there. We only had the one drink here first in Richmond so I don't think that was the reason why we were merrily strolling along the river bank for quite some distance before it occurred to Reidski that we were in fact walking west not east and that therefore it could take a round the world walk before we did actually reach Kew.

We turned round, and did make Kew Gardens this year as opposed to sometime in 2010. Lots more bluebells but I have done 'Bluebell pic' and so I give you - 'Lily Pond at Kew Gardens' minus any lilies, but if you have a magnifying glass you might spot sexed up ducks flirting outrageously on the waters edge.




Now, it is a strange but true fact that Reidski and I have never had an argument. We get on really well and are tolerant of each others foibles/faults (not that I have any of those of course). The no argument bit was at least true up until the Tuesday night when we entered the realms of The Pub Quiz.....

dur dur dur dur....dur dur dur dur.....


Question 3 (out of 30) and I didn't catch what he said (Language difficulty doncha know?) "Sorry darling?" says I. "Oh YOU DO IT!!!" says he throwing pen at me. Strop number 1 duly noted.


Question 14 and the question is something about a new airline starting up in the 80's. I had not a clue but said "Virgin?" with a question mark attached. "British Midlands" declares he with an air of certainty. Now I of course dislike conflict in all its ugly forms but I didn't think British Midlands was right. I mildly suggest to my beloved Scottish person it doesn't 'ring a bell' at which point he grabs the pen and scrawls "VIRGIN" in capitals because "I am SO clever" even though I didn't think Virgin was right for a minute. In which certainty, I was right yet again. But it wasn't British Midlands either. Strop number 2 duly recorded!*

Things got a little tense for a while there but thankfully owing to the intellectually challenged efforts of our competitors we finished up third and won a bottle of Chianti so were both able to acknowledge how brilliant the other was as opposed to what an idiot the other was and our harmonious relationship was restored. He didn't even seem to mind too much when I relentlessly took the piss out of him for the rest of the week on account of The Two Strops which he swears blind were a figment of my imagination!



* The advantages of getting in one's side of the story first can not be under estimated!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh, that's a nice pub especially if you can get a seat out on the balcony.

Can get a bit 'Floody' out the front though ;-)

J.J said...

GReavsie, it was lovely sitting in the sunshine outside, but I did see the photos of what happens when The Tide is High.

Reidski said...

I did not have a strop, I did not have a strop, I did not have a strop - he says stamping his foot on ground.

J.J said...

Reidski - no, you didn't have a strop darling.

You had two ;-)

timesnewroman said...

That happens to mrs tnr and meself ofttimes of a Sunday night. Its usually me be a pedantic git when it comes to spelling. Neither of us has yet gone into a strop though. British Midlands> Whatthefuckwastheboythinking? You should just have laughed at him. It wasn't EasyJet or Ryan Air???

J.J said...

Ryan Air Jim! Please make sure you are down in London on a Tuesday night - we will clean up with your help!