Saturday, January 05, 2008

Dublin continued

I see I left a Swift quote at the bottom of my last post. I hadn't actually meant to do that as I had intended to waffle on about Jonathan Swift but ran out of time. I will however leave it as looking back it pretty much sums up the experience of anyone visting this blog!

We went in St Patricks Cathedral which had plenty of information about their former Dean, the very same Mr Swift. Normally I wouldn't be too interested in anything a Dean had to say, but when they make such Modest Proposals as to suggest the Irish might ease their economic troubles by selling children born into poverty as food for rich gentlemen and ladies then even I would be happy to pay attention."A young healthy child well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious nourishing and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee, or a ragout." Hard to imagine the present Archbishop of Canterbury coming out with something like that.



Still more to come on the Dublin experience but for now I am off to try something new for me- Astanga yoga. Must have had a rush of blood to the head when I signed up for that, but I will try anything once (except foie gras). Then off to Reidksi's for the evening.

4 comments:

The Fatalist said...

Try anything once?
How about wearing your Cobblers shirt the next time you're at The Den...are were you just talking cobblers again?
Miiiiilllll.....

The Fatalist said...

He, he...and just to cheer you up more: my brother's a Leeds fan. How did they do yesterday... ;-)

Fire Byrd said...

so oysters, liver and onions, tripe, devilled kidneys are all good then....?

so will you be able to get your big toe in your mouth doing this yoga?

pxx

J.J said...

Fatalist, remind me to tell you about the time I shouted for Luton - whilst sitting in the Millwall end. It was a horrible mistake.

And as for bloody Leeds United....I heard they played a team which just lay down and died. Lack of effort and pride from my lot apparently - and no, I;m not happy!

Pixie, liver and onions if cooked by my mum is accpetable, but you have a point about the other stuff - NEVER!

Being quite flexible I have always been able to get my toe in my mouth, but one or two of the poses our instructor did might take a few more lifetimes for me to get right.