Sunday, February 25, 2007

A week is a long time in football

From this dire situation (1 point out of a possible 15) to 7 points out of a possible 9 in the last week. We won 3-0 yesterday. My team are nothing if not totally inconsistent.

We have a striker on loan from Gretna at the moment - Kenny Deuchar -and he scored his first goal for us yesterday. He has scored quite a lot of goals before. In fact he scored 66 goals in 82 starts for Gretna and in the 2004/2005 season he scored 6 hat tricks.

Yesterday he was featured in a regular feature in our programme where players get asked a series of inane questions including "What was your best subject at school?" All the players without exception say PE. Or at least, they all said PE until they asked Kenny Deuchar who replied "Physics." And he must be telling the truth because he is a fully qualified doctor who for his first few weeks with us was having to leave straight after a match to get back to Scotland and do a shift at the hospital he was still working part time in.

Unusual for a footballer to say the least.

2 comments:

Greg said...

I wondered where he'd gone. I'm not a huge footie fan but I do keep up with the results. From hearing that Deuchar had scored nearly every week for Gretna last year, I'd wondered what had happened to him.
Bit of a coup to get someone so prolific on loan, isn't it?
I don't see your lot getting much change in Bristol, I'm afraid but I'll add them to my "I wonder how they got on" list!

J.J said...

Stegbeetle - we are made up to have him. And I am afraid you are probably right about Bristol City on Saturday, but where we have The Good Doctor we have hope!